Prolog library: util.hlp

pereira at sri-unix.UUCP pereira at sri-unix.UUCP
Mon Aug 15 16:04:13 AEST 1983

UTIL:UTIL.HLP					Updated: 22 October 81

This directory contains the Prolog utilities used by the Mecho Project.

On the ERCC DEC10 in Edinburgh all this stuff is contained in [140,143,UTIL].
The contents of this directory is now being thrown onto outgoing tapes
containing the latest DEC10 Prolog system, on the offchance they might be
of some use elsewhere.

The following files are present:

	UTIL.MIC
	MUTIL.MIC	These are MIC command files for loading two standard
			Utilities packages (a full one and a minimal one).
			The EXE files produced are stored elsewhere in the
			Mecho library ([400,444]). These MIC files are rather
			hairy, their main purpose being to support an
			automatic reloading hack I use (they will undoubtably
			be useless elsewhere).  The interesting work is done in
			the following files:

	UTIL
	MUTIL		These are Prolog files which contain the commands to
			load (by compiling/consulting) the various sources
			which make up the above packages. Either of these
			files just needs consulting to do the loading.

	UTIL.TXT	This file contains a list of all the predicates
			provided by the Utilities package. The predicates
			are listed first by module (source file) and then
			alphabetically.

	WRITEF.*	A short documentary note on the formatted write
			utility (see WRITEF.PL).

	UTIL.MSS	A rather old start to some documentation, It is
			horribly incomplete and uses as yet undefined
			SCRIBE macros so there is only the source form.

	UTIL.OPS
	ARITH.OPS	These files declare the (syntactic) operators used by
			the packages.

	*.PL		These are all the Prolog source files for the Utility
			packages.

Unfortunately there is no decent documentation for the utilities apart from
the list of predicates in UTIL.TXT. This is a matter which I have been meaning
to deal with for years. However most of the routines are pretty short and
straightforward. I have not yet brought them all up to my current commenting
standards though. Sorry about the mess.

The real goody that you may enjoy is the rational arithmetic package which can
be found in LONG.PL.  This provides all the standard arithmetic operations over
arbitrary precision rational numbers, plus some more things like logs, square
roots, and a poor mans trig function hack.  There is also a symbolic
simplifier/evaluator which makes use of LONG in TIDY.PL.  Both these files are
fairly substantial but they both contain documentation on whats going on.  The
rational arithmetic package is pretty fast considing this was not a deliberate
intention.  It needs compiling of course - try it and see!

I hope these may be of some use to you,

					Lawrence Byrd
					Artificial Intelligence
					Hope Park Square
					University of Edinburgh
					Edinburgh
					SCOTLAND	UK

	Network mail etc,

		BYRD on the ERCC DEC10 (Edinburgh) (ppn = [400,441])
			(If thats where you are, or you can get through)

		BYRD at MIT-AI
			(Regular ARPANET mailing address)