Posting object code to net.sources

John Gilmore gnu at sun.uucp
Wed Aug 8 20:53:40 AEST 1984

Recently there's been a rash of uuencoded object code in net.sources.
I think this is a despicable practice, because source is not provided.

One of the great things about this network is that there's a large
(LARGE) variety of machines on it.  Something posted in object is
useful on exactly one class of machines.  Furthermore, recipients can't
fix bugs or make enhancements -- let alone consider porting the
software to a different environment.  While free object code w/o source
is sometimes better than no code at all, I don't think net.sources is
the right place for it.

I think that posting object code without source should be discouraged,
in Emily Post and by replies to people who do it.  Is this the "sense
of the net" or am I off in a corner?

Followups to  net.news  only, please.