Post ALL "sources wanted" requests to THIS newsgroup,

Dave Martindale dmmartindale at watcgl.UUCP
Mon Dec 3 19:01:59 AEST 1984

> because, as should be obvious to anyone with a FRAGMENT of intelligence
> (this obviously excludes all you silly little traffic cops who keep
> complaining monotonously) there are VERY FEW if ANY netizens who
> read net.wanted.sources to see if there's anything they can give away!!!
> (If your self-image of charitability has been damaged, you may now wail
> indignantly.)  Therefore, the probability of whoever has GOT a source
> that you're looking for	seeing your request on net.wanted.sources or
> is *** VANISHINGLY *** small... since if they have the what you want,
> they have to be a net reader (excludes everybody that does useful work)
> and they have to read net.sources (excludes an additional segment)
> and they have to be looking to give something away (excludes 99.44%
> of humanity)...
>
> In FACT, you're damned lucky if somebody that's GOT a source that you
> want, even reads THIS newsgroup, since  most people that read THIS
> newsgroup are (again!) reading it because they WANT something, not
> because they have something to offer.
>
> I hope I get some good flames out of this.  I'm really sleepy and bored.

Well, a minor flame:  There has been a quite a bit of good software
posted to net.sources, much of it by people who do useful work.

I believe in exchanging software whenever possible.  I read both
net.sources and net.wanted.sources.  However, I'm more likely to
pay attention to a request for sofware that is in net.wanted.sources.
After all, if you're going to be arrogant enough to post requests
to net.sources, obviously against the wishes of many netters, why
should I bother trying to help you out?

	Dave Martindale