Orphaned Response

bees at infoswx.UUCP bees at infoswx.UUCP
Tue Oct 1 03:00:00 AEST 1985

>In article <11100001 at infoswx> bees at infoswx.UUCP writes:
>>Not to mention:
>>			tail -r file
>>assuming 4bsd...
>
>Yes, except that it will only list the last 4 k (or so) of the
>file - so
>	revfile != tail -r
>Of course, the right approach would be to replace the -r code in
>tail with the revfile code.
>
>------------------
>Kim F. Storm, Inst of Datalogy(=CS), U of Copenhagen, Sigurdsgade 41, DK-2200 N
>UUCP: mcvax!diku!storm, <storm at diku.UUCP>           tel: +45 1 83 64 66, ext 14

Quite right!  I knew that there was a 4k limit to the size of any tail(1)
operation.  I recently wrote a program to "prune" (truncate the top) log
files that grow to infinity, because "tail -100b" never works.

Another approach would be to fix tail such that it dynamically allocates
memory, instead of limiting things to a 4k internal buffer.

Ray Davis
Teknekron Infoswitch, Richardson, TX
infoswx!bees, (214)644-0570