8-Bit ASCII Standard on UNIX-POSIX

Guy Harris guy at Sun.COM
Tue Apr 5 07:11:13 AEST 1988

From: guy at Sun.COM (Guy Harris)

>    I understand that the standardization of 8-bit extended ASCII
> is too late.

You're probably right.  There is already a family of ISO extended character
sets, the ISO 8859 family, that are extensions of ASCII and are being adopted
by many UNIX systems.  The ISO 8859/1 character set, also known as "ISO Latin
Alphabet #1", has been adopted or will be adopted by a number of vendors for
Western European use; AT&T has adopted t, Sun plans to do so, I believe Apollo
has done so, DEC's international character set is similar to it and they may
have adopted it, and I think X/Open has already specified it.

Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 42