8-Bit ASCII Standard on UNIX-POSIX

Moderator, John S. Quarterman std-unix at longway.TIC.COM
Sat Apr 9 23:57:53 AEST 1988

From: uunet!rutgers.edu!mtune!homxb!hrs (H.SILBIGER)

In article <161 at longway.TIC.COM>, guy at Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> From: guy at Sun.COM (Guy Harris)
>
> > currency symbols, circle-R trademark and circle-C copyright symbols,
> > inverted ? and !, section and paragraph symbols, << guillemets >>,
> > and 3.  The last sound like a bad idea to me, so I actually hope this
> > Sound like ISO 8859?
>
> Yes.  The superscripted letters *do* come from ISO 8859 (see below).

There is another ISO standard that handles all latin alphabets, known as
ISO6937.  There is a CCITT equivalent.

This character set is characteristically used in text communication
applications, such as document architecture, teletex, message handling, etc.

ISO 8859 is used mainly in the computer processing environment.

[ Because ISO 6937 buys extreme flexibility by composing characters as
two-byte combinations of basic character and accent, while ISO 8859
encodes every character as one byte.  I saw this on comp.std.internat,
which I recommend everybody interested in this discussion should read.  -mod ]

Herman Silbiger batavier!hrs at ATT.COM

Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 50