MGR is ported to the UNIX pc (was Re: More X foolishness)

Rob Healey rhealey at umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU
Tue Feb 20 05:22:25 AEST 1990

In article <1095 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Bellcore's MGR has been ported to the UNIX pc.  Yes, another window
>environment that has the benefits of being able to use the entire screen,
>user-level code (no wind driver), ease of window reshaping, resizing,
>moving, etc...  Lots more too!
>
>BTW: Regarding Item #3 above, Brad did just that.  /dev/mouse is part
>of the kbd driver (a hacked Ditto version).

	Umm, does this clobber the features of the 3.51m keyboard driver in
	the process? Since the need for the new kbd driver was eliminated
	with 3.51m can the extra code for MGR be installed seperate from
	the unneeded kbd code?

	Also, can MGR be run on systems without the user mode video hardware
	"patch"? Some of us college aged paupers can't afford cushy extras
	like food and a roof over our heads let alone hardware mods to our
	toys... B^(.

			-Rob