Twisted pair (StarLan) to ThinNet

John Greene greene at venice.SEDD.TRW.COM
Fri Mar 30 03:11:15 AEST 1990

In article <405 at ohsuhcx.ohsu.edu> bj at ohsuhcx.ohsu.edu (Bill Jackson) writes:
>Has anyone found a good way to bring ThinNet into a twisted pair (StarLan)
>network?  I have a campus network based on StarLan components from AT&T and
>
>Is the problem a lack of a twisted pair standard?  The Synoptics stuff was all
>billed for their LatticeNet stuff - is this not the same as StarLan?

First thing is that you are mixing two different things here.  Literally, you
can bridge between ThinNet and StarLan using a Mac Layer Bridge such as made
by Retix.  StarLan is a 1 MegaBit/Sec twisted pair network.  The Synoptics
stuff is an implementation of 10 MBit/sec twisted pair which is in the process
of being standardized as 10baseT.  I think that StarLan carries a standard of
1base5 (I think).  It's been five years since I messed with any of this stuff.

In short, No, Synoptics is not the same as StarLan.  Unless it is their series
3000 stuff, it's not 10baseT either.

--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR