Solution to Problems with UUCP/modems.

Scott Anderson scott at questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG
Sun Sep 4 01:04:40 AEST 1988

In article <37899 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
> acucntrl is a little hack that comes with 4.3BSD. It is invoked by uucico when
> it wants to make an outgoing call, to scribble on the tty data structures in
> the kernel and keep init(8) from waking up. In other words, it provides dialin
> and dialout on the same line.
> Standard OSx does not provide acucntrl. The 4.3BSD version is highly VAX de-
> pendent (what do you expect for a program that opens and writes on /dev/kmem?)

I have been fighting the dialin-out problem here for a long time.  I
have finnaly come up with a solution that will work in just about
every case (ITP) I have seen, and reliably too!

It consists of the putty(1) program written by Gene Olsen
here in Minneapolis.  This program is the best pre-getty program that
I have ever seen.  However, it still was not enough to deal with my
brain-dead modems.  If your modems can be set to drop the carrier
line for a few seconds after the real carrier goes away, then you can
use plain putty on the pyramid and still get the modem control.
My modems cannot be set to that mode...you have to either make the
CD track the real carrier or, just set it to be on.  The second case
is horrid because the chances of hanging the modem are *high*.  (I
also got the same effect by telling the ITP that carrier is always
high).  Anyway, I have found a solution that works reliably for
my modems and I am happy with it.

If anyone is interested in my patches to the putty program for the
Pyramid, I would be glad to send them.

--
Scott Anderson			UUCP: scott at Questar.MN.ORG,
Questar Data Systems			...!amdahl!bungia!questar!scott