why separate getpwent routines for YP?

Patrick Wolfe pwolfe at kailand.kai.com
Fri Dec 1 06:44:36 AEST 1989

I installed YP (Yellow Pages) on our network this week, and RCS V4.2 commands
started crashing with segmentation faults.  I found (from the getpwent(3)
online manpage) that SGI ships two versions of the "getpw*" calls, one that
understands YP and one that doesn't?  Once I learned this, it was trivial to
fix the Makefile and recompile, but I can't help wonder why anyone would want
to ship (and maintain) two separate versions?

--

        Patrick Wolfe
        System Manager, Kuck & Associates