EMACS customization

Tony Facca fsfacca at AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV
Thu Apr 12 22:08:33 AEST 1990

> Susan miller2%Cohen <flora.mmwb.ucsf.edu!miller2 at cgl.ucsf.edu>  writes:
>
> Can someone tell me how to customize the EMACS editor for use with a Silicon
> Graphics IRIS workstation? I would like to be able to use the function keys
> at the top and the arrow keys particularly, but also other keys on the
> keyboard which have no printed value. At the moment I'm getting an error
> message about the key codes I'm using (down arrow for instance is ^[[A if
> one can believe the quoted-insert response but this code gives problems in
> fact).

Back in 1987 I wrote a Wordstar/Turbo-whatever editor emulator using
Unipress Emacs.  This worked well on the 3030's but I never ported it to
the 4D's and has since lost interest in Emacs altogether (fell from grace,
if you will).  But fear not for my soul, I have become a born again believer
in "vi"

Anyway, here are a few lines from the .emacs_pro file which worked to set up
the keys on the older Iris's, perhaps it will ring a bell for you.  I seem to
remember something about using emacs to do the "bind-to-key function" then
pressing the key which you want the function bound to?

Good Luck.  If anyone is intersted in the entire function to emulate the
Wordstart editor, let me know.

;* Function:  emacs2ws
;* version:   1.3
;* date:      July 27, 1987

;* An MLisp function which is executed each time Emacs is entered.

;* This file is to be copied into the users home directory as ".emacs_pro"

;*
;* Set up the arrow keys and delete keys
;*

(bind-to-key "previous-line"         "\033A")
(bind-to-key "next-line"             "\033B")
(bind-to-key "backward-character"    "\033D")
(bind-to-key "forward-character"     "\033C")
(bind-to-key "delete-next-character" "\177")