bounced mail

Bill Phillips bill at contex.UUCP
Fri Aug 31 15:33:55 AEST 1990

The following was bounced, so I figured I might as well post it:

>>> RCPT To:<schuman at odin.corp.sgi.com>
<<< 550 <schuman at odin.corp.sgi.com>... User unknown
550 <@relay.corp.sgi.com:schuman at odin.corp.sgi.com>... User unknown

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 17:42:32 EDT
>From: shinobu.sgi.com!relay.sgi.com!SGI.COM!decwrl.dec.com!hplabs!uunet.UU.NET!contex!bill (Bill Phillips)
To: uunet.UU.NET!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!sdd.hp.com!decwrl!sgi!shinobu!odin!schuman
Subject: Re: rsh (remote shell) -- undocumented(?) feature(?)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi

In article <1990Aug29.014812.14956 at odin.corp.sgi.com> you write:
:I just looked over the source for rshd, and I didn't see it setting
:umask anywhere.  It isn't set in rcmd(3) either.  Doing a setuid
:system call doesn't source the rc files belonging to the new user,
:so umask isn't getting set that way.
:
:The umask shell variable is inherited by child processes.  My guess
:is that on your system rshd's parent (inetd) has a umask of 022,
:and so does rshd's grandparent (init).

Well, a bit more investigation turned up the fact that this problem
only occurs on machines running IRIX 3.3.  inetd on these machines
seems to set/inherit the umask of 0022, whereas the ones under 3.2
do not.  There appears to be no difference in the way inetd is started up
on the two systems.

Indeed, we just reloaded a system from scratch, and when we

rsh <name> umask, we get 22.

We are reporting this to the sgi hotline, but it's really  driving me nuts
that I can't find out why this is happening.

Incidentally, I gather there is an undocumented flag ("-d") for inetd.
Do you know what it is for?

Thanks,
bill

--
William F Phillips,  Sr. Engr.,  Development Systems Development Group,
    Xyvision Design Systems  +  101 Edgewater Drive  +  Wakefield, MA, USA