emacs, the final chapter -- I hope

Peter Jaspers-Fayer SOFPJF at VM.UOGUELPH.CA
Thu Aug 30 07:17:34 AEST 1990

OK, with many thanks to all, especially Scott Henry of SGI, I finally
got emacs up and running.  For those of you contemplating this, here's
what I went through.

 - On a partition with 20MB or so free (I exagerate, but only slightly):
 - Get the 18.55 version from some server (copies abound).
 - Get 'patch.tar.Z' fron vgr.brl.mil
 - Get the irix3.3 patch to emacs from an archive for this list (thx Scott)
 - Create patch (that Configure script is a real hoot!)
 - tar dist-18.55 directory from the tar file
 - sh the shar file containing the patches.  Before doing so, `jot` the
   shar file and repair any (1 found one) line wraps caused by some
   mail daemon (the wrapped line will be without a leading '+' in the
   middle of a bunch of lines with them).
 - Carefully follow the instructions in the README in the patch set
   (you do not need to mangle config.h, the patch does it for you)

 - run make (and it runs, and runs, and...)

You may find it benificial to pre-create /usr/local/emacs and the various
others mantioned in the README in the emacs distribution (I had a small
problem here, but that may have been because I was not 'root' at the
time).   When you are done you should see something like:

# cd /usr/local/emacs
# du -s *
4       README
160     cpp
5322    etc
2414    gdb
2360    info
6660    lisp
1       lock
2692    man
31      shortnames

plus emacs, ctags, and etags in /usr/local/bin

The editor comes up, but darned if I know if all that lisp stuff works.
I hope all them users on our 380 like the thing, I'm not sure I do.

/PJ                                                SofPJF at VM.UoGuelph.Ca
(Probably also reachable (until ?) at             SOFPJF at UOGUELPH.BITNET)
Klein bottle for rent, apply within.