10 pounds in a 5 pound bag..

Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854 blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV
Thu Aug 2 04:49:00 AEST 1990

     We have the same problem with our 4D/210 VGX and have heard the
same complaint from others here at Langley.  It would be nice if the
root partition was a little bit larger.  We are still trying to figure
out how to work around this.  One thing we have done is to set the
TMPDIR in /etc/cshrc, individually set directory=/usr/tmp for vi & ex.
So far so good.  I registered this as a complaint on the hotline.
They didn't seem to have any real solution to the problem, other than
repartioning the disk.
     You can't link /tmp to /usr/tmp.  We were going to do that, but
we found a socket in /tmp that we couldn't remove.  Then the hotline
said we didn't want to do the link because of other reasons that they
didn't go into.  I ask them to give me a list of things that use /tmp,
so we could redirect them to /usr/tmp, but they couldn't come up with
a list.  We haven't done anything to the kernal yet, however, we are
going to need to in the near future and if there isn't enought space
in root to do it, I guess we would need to repartion.
     Some times I wonder if these types of things are check before
they ship these things out.  You would think that something as obviously
wrong as this would be found real soon.  We found it the first day
we started using the machine.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center