Trouble with Iris IMG library

Robert Lansdale lansd at dgp.toronto.edu
Mon Mar 19 19:36:28 AEST 1990

	Several months ago I added Iris 'IMG' file output capabilities
to my 3d renderer, but everytime I outputed an image and 'ipaste'd it to the
screen, the image was always displayed black. After spending too much time
trying to narrow the problem down (including examining the file directly),
I gave up and placed it at the bottom of my list of things to eventually
fix.

	Well, here we are several months later, but now I must convert
an Iris IMG file created with Alias's Quickpaint program to our native
RLE file format. To make a long story short, the converter did its job
but the resulting colour image was displayed in grey-scale. To see who was at
fault, I converted the 'max5.rgb' image and it displayed just fine. I
then tried the 'toalias' converter in 4Dgifts/iristools/imgtools on the
Quickpaint output, then used a (known-to-be-working) Alias image display
program to paste the Alias pic to the Iris display - same 'greyscale'
effect.

	So, the question is: why does both my renderer and the converter
programs have problems with the Image file library? I made sure I recompiled
the libraries in 4Dgifts/iristools before I made the toalias program and
before I linked libimage.a into my renderer.

	Also, does the "image->zsize" variable really reflect the depth of
the IMG file? From what I recall, most of the IMG related files in 4Dgifts
don't bother looking at the image depth.

--> Rob Lansdale