Sparc tapes

Darrell R. Davis davis at ADENOSINE.PHARM.UTAH.EDU
Tue Mar 20 04:54:44 AEST 1990

My thanks to several people who made suggestions for reading Sparc
tapes, none of them worked, but I did a work-around and will post what
I think the problem was/is.

First the solution was to make a new Sparc tape using tar cvf
/dev/rst8.  The default tape device is /dev/rst0 which must be QIC-150
format, supposedly the same as the PI tape drive, but not
compatible????  After making the /dev/rst8 tape which is supposedly
QIC-24 I used

dd if=/dev/tape conv=swab | tar xvf-

to read the Sparc tape on my 4D/20, no problem.  It would still be
interesting to find out how to make the QIC-150's talk to each other.

-----Darrell R. Davis
davis at adenosine.pharm.utah.edu      "Faster, faster, until the
Assistant Professor                  thrill of speed overcomes
Medicinal Chemistry                  the fear of death."
University of Utah                     --H.S. Thompson

-----