Weird command flags

Robert B. Funchess bobf at BLUMIRIS.CHEM.UMR.EDU
Sat Mar 3 09:16:54 AEST 1990

A recent posting mentions that cc -s works but doesn't seem to be documented.

We are running 3.1 rev D -- this may be fixed in 3.2 but I don't know -- in
which the man page for install says that -c means "put the file here, iff it
doesn't already exist".  HOWEVER.... if I try to do this, install gives me
its built in "dummy, this is the proper syntax" line, which DOESN'T mention
a -c flag.

Incidentally, the Irix install seems to be -- "enhanced" -- to the point of
incompatibility with a lot of Makefiles.  Then again, the Irix make seems to
be "enhanced" to the point of incompatibility with a lot of Makefiles.

Back to the point:  there is an error in either the manual or the install
command.  Since I am trying to build TeX, there are one h*** of a lot of
Makefiles to wade thru and change every instance of "install" to be Irix-
compatible.  Is it possible, in the next major release of Irix, be it 3.3 or
42 or sqrt(10), to include an "install" that works as promised?  Or at least
change the documentation?
--
						< Bob | bobf | Funchess >

		Stay alert!  Trust no one!  Keep your laser handy!