Optical Drives for Iris'

Mark Bradley markb at denali.sgi.com
Thu Mar 8 03:29:09 AEST 1990

In article <9003070058.AA07718 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") writes:

>   Are you sure about them being 650Mb?  I think they are less than 600Mb
> when used with an SGI machine.
> --
Yup, that is correct.  The 512 byte/sector media yields only 298 MB/side,
or 596 total.

The 1024 byte/sector media (which is not filesystem compatible----yet)
yields 652 total.

If you use the (not yet readily available, I'm to understand) ZCAV media,
this will be up lots--like 466/side at 512 byte sectors.  I'm not sure if
Sony supports this media, but the unit that SGI is considering OEMing
certainly will.

Our sales people can assist you in contacting one of our Geometry Partners
for obtaining WORM, ROM and I think some MO (erasable) 3rd party solutions
if you can't wait for the product from SGI (RSN (real soon now)).

Don't be too hasty.  We expect our device to be quite a bit faster than
the products currently available.  It is so far.....

					markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
I/O Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."

 Disclaimer:  Anything I say is my opinion.  If someone else wants to use it,
             it will cost...