Batch graphics processing

stephens at SLOWHAND.WES.ARMY.MIL stephens at SLOWHAND.WES.ARMY.MIL
Wed Jun 19 06:40:59 AEST 1991

this is probably a dumb question but here goes.....

i have a home-brewed gl code that displays an animation sequence
of transient data. to produce an video tape of these frames i presently
	i) draw an image
	ii) do a scrsave to get the rgb image file
	iii) return to (i) until seqeunce is finished.
	iv) convert the rgb to a yuv format
	v) ship the yuv's to an abekas a60
	vi) then make a tape (BetaCam ---> vhs)

this is very time comsuming (a small nuisance). the real problem is that
this scheme precludes me from doing anything else on the graphics console,
which seems to be a real waste of resources. some of these things presently
occupies the graphics console for hours.

my question is this: is there a way to get the image without actually
putting it on the screen, i.e., to 'batch' process the graphic
rendering? i know some packages do this batch processing (wavefront's
advanced visualizer). so i know it can be done.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

mike (stephens at slowhand.wes.army.mil)