increasing RAM memory available to a large process

Rodney Peck II rodney at taac.ipl.rpi.edu
Tue Aug 15 22:10:41 AEST 1989

In article <628 at brazos.Rice.edu> utacfd!utafll!bruce at central.sun.com
(Bruce Samuelson) writes:

BS> I would like to make more RAM memory available to a
BS> memory-intensive process than Unix is willing to dole out, in
BS> order to reduce its virtual memory paging.  Can this be done,
BS> possibly by reconfiguring the kernel?

BS> Equipment			: 4  MB 3/50s running SunOS 3.2
BS> Total available memory	: 3.3MB
BS> Max mem avail for large process : 1.6MB
BS> Size of large process	: 4-5MB typically

Hm.  We have a sun4 here with similar questions.  It has 128meg of memory
(yes, really, it's 128meg ram and 3.2gbyte of disk).

Many of the programs we run are upwards of 12 meg.  Unix will only let
them have 8 meg at a time though.  Is there a reason for this or can we
fix it by reconfiguring the kernel?

--
Rodney