Sun 3/60 Questions

Vincent Fox gt1111a at prism.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 6 00:17:00 AEST 1991

polari!sjc at sumax.seattleu.edu writes:

>I plan on buying a Sun 3/60 in the next month and would like to have
>answers to the questions listed below so I can get the system I need at a
>reasonable price.

>1) What version of SunOS has X11R3? X11R4.
None. You get the MIT source for X Windows and compile it yourself.

>2) What versions of SunOS have OpenWindows?
4.1.1 is the first to include it on the basic 2 OS tapes.

>3) Minimum system requirements to run OpenWindows?
I recommend 16 megs of RAM, 24 megs swap minimum. I must say that
while OpenWindows has nice bells and whistles, in terms of perceived
performance and response time, MIT's X Windows wins hands down.
All that nifty stuff drags it down I think.
TANSTAAFL
(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)
Plus which while OpenWindows looks pretty nice in color (big deal!)
it's advantage is removed on mono screens.

>4) Disk space consumed by SunOS 4.1.1
You'll need at least a 100meg disk. You won't be able to load everything
though. 200+ is better. We buy disks like these new 1.6gig Elite drives
for our servers. The client stations have maybe 100-200 meg drives. The
client doesn't have the manual pages (~20 megs), X (~20 megs), or
OpenWindows (~35?) on the local disk, NFS mounting it from the server
instead. This is not satisfactory from a network bandwidth standpoint
or performance, but works for us for now..
>5) Can latest version of SunOS be purchased from Sun and at what price.
No idea. Seem to remember something like $300 sans manuals.
>6) MIPS that Sun 3/60 runs at?
About 3 MIPS. Nothing stellar, but with a stripped down kernel, minimal
number of processes, mono screen, and 16+megs RAM, gives pretty decent
performance.
--
Vincent Fox (That's Mr. Bucko to you)|Georgia Tech, the only place where Friday
Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA             |is only two working days away from Monday.