tar or cpio, which is better?

James Watt zsinwatt at qut.edu.au
Tue Nov 20 06:50:41 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov15.154616.27759 at viewlogic.com>,
sparks at power.viewlogic.com (Alan Sparks) writes:

> Which version of cpio are you running?  The cpio man page on the
> Sun here says, "cpio does not support multiple volume tapes."
> (unquote).
>
> -Alan
> --

There is a utility called PAX available from SIMTEL-20 which reads and
writes cpio and tar and supports multivolume tapes. As well as
supporting the old formats it also supports POSIX extensions. I believe
PAX conforms to IEEE 1003.2 standard. It will run on Suns.

|AARnet: james at water.fit.qut.edu.au       ARPA: ZSINWATT at QUT.EDU.AU  |
|SNAIL:  James Watt, Technical Services Section,                     |
|        Faculty Of Information Technology,                          |
|        GPO BOX 2434,                                               |
|        Brisbane 4001.                                              |
|Tel : (07) 223-2533 Int: +61 7 223-2533                             |
|Fax : (07) 229-1510                                                 |
|TZ  : 10 hrs East GMT (GMT + 10)                                    |