RS6000 named

Jeanne Leclair leclair at chamois.cs.uiowa.edu
Fri Sep 7 04:02:10 AEST 1990

I recently started bringing up a 530 RS6000 and want to run named.  I set up
named.boot, loopback.rev and root.cache like on our other machines running
named and fired it up.  It works great for machines local to our departmental
domain (cs.uiowa.edu).  You can specify just the hostname or the fully-qual-
ified name and it works.  It also works fine for off-campus hosts for which
you would expect to have to specify the fuly-qualified name.  For on-campus
hosts in other departments, however, you would expect to be able to use
hostname.dept-domain and that doesn't work.  Only fully-qualified names work
for everything outside cs.uiowa.edu.  What did I miss i the setup or is this
how it's supposed to work?

Please respond by mail.  I will summarize if there's interest.

Thanks,
Jeanne Leclair
(leclair at chamois.cs.uiowa.edu)