Personal System Folders and NFS

John Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 5 16:46:23 AEST 1990

steveg at ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>I have a CONSISTANT problem where code compiled on an NFS mount does not work
>correctly or even at all.  What is strange is that all of the phases work
>fine except for the ld phase.  I was told to turn off the biod's because of a
>race condition..  this did not help me but I understand that it has helped
>some others...

I've got this one... most of the time. When compiling to disks from
the Encore server, I get bad links (the link finishes cleanly, but
the resulting image is damaged, often in strange and interesting
ways). On the other hand, when the remote server is a Sun or an A/UX
machine, I've never seen this problem.

The problem doesn't happen with small programs: hello world works
10 out of 10. Big programs (nn, gcc, g++, etc) always fail.

--John