Questions about su and high-density discs

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Fri Mar 2 13:56:36 AEST 1990

In article <2301 at syma.sussex.ac.uk> davidh at syma.susx.ac.uk (David J Hobley) writes:
>1) I have changed my shell to /usr/local/bin/tcsh. After I did this, I was
>unable to 'su' any more - it just came back with "Sorry!". In SunOS, there is
>a file /etc/shells which details trusted shells, is there any such thing in
>A/UX. It seems somewhat bizarre that when it is the superuser that has to
>change the shell, if it isn't the csh/sh/ksh that you can now no longer use
>su. Have I missed something?
  Yep.  It's not a security feature; it's a result of a bug in the original
A/UX tcsh port from Ohio State, specifically a bug somewhere in the job
control code.  Paul Traina has a version of tcsh which allows su just fine.
It was at one time available for anonymous ftp from anise.acc.com; I haven't
checked there lately to see if it's still there.

>2) Is there any way to get A/UX to format high-density discs? If hfx could
>also be patched to recognise high density discs, it would also be very useful.
  Not that I'm aware of; if there is, it sure isn't documented.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Cancelling a posted message means posting a cancel message."-Maarten Litmaath