A/UX 2.0 and Imagewriters non-features

Bruce Barnett barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com
Fri Sep 28 23:24:05 AEST 1990

Is A/UX going backwards? I haven't even installed A/UX 2.0, and
already I am disappointed that Apple is removing features that I
believe previously worked.

I am referring to A/UX and ImageWriter (and ImageWriter LQ) support.
First I find out that the LQ needs an AppleTalk board upgrade.

Now I find out from the README file that A/UX 2.0 does not support
troff and ImageWriters. Nroff works but troff doesn't.

The main reason I need A/UX at home is for troff previewing (A
contract writing a Unix book using troff).

I had hoped I could use the Mac tools for the drawings, and merge
troff with Mac diagrams. Not with A/UX 2!

As I can see it, my choices are:

	1) use nroff
	2) But a Appletalk PostScript printer.
	3) Use A/UX 1.1
	4) Use Freedom of Press to render 400 pages of PostScript.

Apple, tell me this isn't so! Tell me A/UX 2.1 will be released soon
with IW LQ support! Tell me you need a beta tester!

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett at crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett