Ethernet card/driver for Mac IIfx & AUX 2.0

William Roberts liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Wed Sep 26 00:30:40 AEST 1990

In <45070 at apple.Apple.COM> justin at Apple.COM (Justin Walker) writes:

>	For A/UX 2.0, the startup scripts shouldn't try to chat with the
>	user; this should be done at "newconfig" time instead.  The 2.0 startup
>	regimen assumes NO user interactions.

Perhaps you should change the /etc/startup.d/ae6 script in that case,
since it prompts the user for information if it is unable to read the
stored information in /etc/NETADDRS.  In my experience, the usual reason
for being asked these questions is that the root file system is so full
that pipes no longer work, so the lines

          set ''`/bin/sed -n "/^[       ]*$unit/p" /etc/NETADDRS`
          n=$#
          inetaddr=$2; broadcast=$3; netmask=$4

don't work and the script prompts for things to replace the null values.
This condition is self-fulfilling, because the answers don't get used,
and the file system is actually likely to be full of half-made kernel fragment.

Request: could autoconfig please immediately remove the file /unix, before
attempting to build a new one - that way we only need 2.5 kernels worth of
free space, rather than 3.5 kernels.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)