cloning the A/UX root partition

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 11 20:39:28 AEST 1991

In article <51392 at apple.Apple.COM> akkana at Apple.COM (Akkana Peck) writes:
}In article <1991Apr10.025055.1029 at ni.umd.edu> steveg at ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
}>In article <6962 at rex.cs.tulane.edu> dejesus at bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (Francisco X DeJesus) writes:
}>>    Is there any program out there (preferably under MacOS) that can do an
}>>image copy of an entire SCSI partition, from one drive to another?
}>>[deleted]
}>
}>	dd if=/dev/dsk/cxd0s31 of=/dev/dsk/cyd0s31 bs=512k
}>where x is the source scsi id and y is the destination scsi id.
}
}Or even ... cat!  I admit that I haven't tried it on A/UX, but I've
}successfully cloned SunOS with commands like "cat /dev/rsd0a >/dev/rsd1a".
}(We were going to use dd, but just wanted to see if cat would work,
}for the hack value.  It had been a long day. :-) )
}

Of course, in BOTH cases you must make sure that the sizes of the 2 partitions
are the EXACT same, since the SuperBlocks are also copied and they have file-
system size info in them. If, for example, you want to move your 50MB root file
system to a new 100MB partition, DON'T use dd (or cat) or any image copy!

Not that Steve or Akkane were saying that you could, it's just that I've seen
some people try and then wonder why it didn't work :(
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

 "I object to all this sex on the television. I mean, I keep falling off!"