Accessing mac files under CommandShell

Bob Lantz lantz at Apple.COM
Tue Apr 16 11:14:36 AEST 1991

rprohask at orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:

>How does one get into the macintosh file system from an
>aux commandshell window?  Commando seems to think that
>"diskname:foldername:nextfoldername:......." is supposed to
>work.  Unfortunatly, aux announces "........bad directory" and
>I'm out of luck.

Yes, you are.

You are probably trying to use a Unix utility which does not
deal with HFS (as, indeed, almost all of them do not.)  Why, then,
does Commando allow you to select HFS volumes for Unix commands?
Well, probably it shouldn't [sorry] but the current Commando,
developed for MPW, doesn't support a mechanism to differentiate
between Unix and HFS volumes (indeed, the file manager does quite a
good job of hiding the differences.)  I will keep this in mind for
future revisions to Commando.

I will point out, though, that certain commands (e.g. rez, setfile)
*do* accept HFS as well as Unix pathnames.

>Is there some special trick to using Commando?

Sorry, no.

>thanks

>bob prohaska

Bob Lantz