How to install Emacs? (wuarchive's Emacs... Grr.)

Gene Hightower gene at segue.segue.com
Tue Jun 11 07:53:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun9.082617.13976 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>While the software appears to work with A/UX
>the installation instructions, which consist of one incorrect line, are
>enough to make me want to tear out my hair. (Wait, why should I suffer?
>I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
                   ^^^^^^
The author in this case is Richard Stallman.

>emacs directory." This does _NOT_ work. Perhaps if there were some indication
>as to what the name of that directory were supposed to be, it might?
>
>I understand that this stuff was provided free, w/o warrantee, etc. But if
>you're going to claim that things work a certain way is it too much to ask
>that they in fact do work that way?

I don't think that Richard Stallman claims that any software he writes
works on A/UX or any type of Macintosh.  I could be wrong, I don't
speak for Mr. Stallman, I don't even know the man, but I have read his
views about Apple and the Macintosh, and I would assume A/UX also, as
it runs only on Macintosh computers.

In fact:

  "We are boycotting Apple because of Apple's efforts to take away
  our freedom to write compatible imitations of existing software.
  If you value your freedom to write such programs, we urge you
  not to buy from Apple, not to develop software for Apple, and
  certainly not to accept a job with Apple."

is a quote from the MACHINES file in the GNU emacs distribution.

As for installing emacs, I have installed versions 18.55 and 18.56 on
both System V-ish (interactive 386/ix) and BSD-ish (SunOS) systems
without too much trouble.

I can understand your frustration when things don't work right for
you, but flaming the author makes no sense in this case.

--
++
Gene Hightower    gene at segue.com    aero!segue!gene