A/UX gripe

Ron Flax ron at afsg.apple.com
Thu Mar 21 22:48:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar17.090227.2482 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Marc's point is exactly the one I was making. I should have been more explicit.
>
>So let me put it even another way.
>
>IF DP CAN DO IT WHY CAN'T HD SC SETUP???
>
>(I feel much better now... :-)
>
>Please, you guys, you've done a terrific job on A/UX. As of last week, when I
>got 2.0.1, it got a lot better. Why defend one of the few indefensible points?
>If some marketing geeks are laying down the law here, just say so and forget
>it. But if this decision was made on the technical issues, it badly needs
>rethinking. Today.

I've been hesitant to get involved on this issue.. but here goes.

Please understand that we, Apple, are very concerned about the install
procedure in A/UX, as well as the rest of the "out-of-box" experience a
user has when first using A/UX or any other Apple product.

With that said, I assure you that serious consideration is being given
to 1) making the install process as simple as pressing one button (for
the default or general case), and 2) providing a version of HD SC Setup
that is usable on most 3rd party drives so that at a minimum, you can
do what dp(1) does, namely partition the drive.  This is NOT part of
2.0.1.  We are hopefull that it will become part of a future release of
A/UX, just as soon as we can make that happen.  THIS IS NOT A PRODUCT
ANNOUNCEMENT!  Just a statement of the fact that we are concerned and we
are doing something about it.  Please be patient.

Thank you.

--
Ron Flax
ron at afsg.apple.com