Security problem with local root user on SUN workstations

Tony Tran tran at versatc.UUCP
Fri Nov 18 14:39:31 AEST 1988

In article <2374 at ssc-vax.UUCP>, ray3rd at ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E Saddler III) writes:
> In article <3228 at versatc.UUCP>, tran at versatc.UUCP (Tony Tran) writes:
> >  We run into a big security problem on our SUN local network when a user
> >  who has access to root (on the local workstation) decides to "su" to
> >  any valid username on the YP server, and therefore access any file
> >  he wants.
> >  Since I cannot keep track of all local root users in the SUN NFS
> >  environment, how can I get around this serious problem ?

> >  Any hint/advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tighten up your allowance to root access.

   I tried to tighten up the security by removing the "+" sign in
   /etc/hosts.equiv, and bingo, it seemed to fix the above leak.

   Local root user can "su" to anybody, but as soon as he rlogin
   to another SUN, it will prompt him for the password.

   HOWEVER, we no longer can rsh from our station to the YP server,
   which happens to have the only networked laser printer.

   Needless to say, we can no longer print remotely to our only
   network laser printer.

   Any idea how to fix the network printer problem?

   Tony Tran

   PS. BTW, I heard that secure NFS on SUN OS 4.0.1 will fix this
   	problem but I am not sure