Is there a limit to create sockets on UNIX??

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sat Aug 4 04:50:51 AEST 1990

>While true that most UNIX systems are limited by static resource limits, not
>all are.

No shit, that's why I said "some systems".  Since he was seeing EMFILE,
he was obviously working on a system limited by a static limit on the
number of file descriptors that any one process can open.

>Known counterexample: AIX 3.1 for the RS/6000 (limit = 2000).

That sounds like a static limit to me, albeit a large one.

>Possible counterexamples: System V Release 4

No, S5R4 works the same way SunOS 4.1 does.