help sought - securing a terminal/line

Peter Murray pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Mon Aug 6 07:24:17 AEST 1990

In article <13089.26b57b8d at qut.edu.au>, cszrhodes at qut.edu.au writes:
> I need to secure a terminal (under HP_UX) in such a way that, when a person
> comes up and turns that terminal (and only that terminal) on, some application
> program is automatically invoked (e.g. oracle). That is, I need to develop
> some 'automatic terminal recognition' software that detects a particular
> terminal line being activated, and then dedicates that terminal/line to a
> user application.

We are looking at the same problem.  One solution suggested was to put
the name of the program in the "/etc/ttys" file for that particular
terminal line.  For instance...

  tty01   "/usr/local/lib"    vt100   on modem      # Start LIB software

This would take the place of the getty that is started.

While we haven't yet tried this yet, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #5:             pemurray at miavx1.bitnet
215 Foxfire Dr #308  sh> drink <bottle; opener    murrayp at apsvax.aps.muohio.edu