Security (was Re SUMMARY: C Compiler Predefined Manifest Definitions)

Tom Bannon bannon at betelgeuse.csc.ti.com
Sat Aug 25 06:03:58 AEST 1990

In article <105269 at convex.convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen)

As well as From: peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva)
> Security through obscurity is no security at all.

Hmmm...  I guess encryption is out then, being as it relies on the
ignorance of the key.  Ignorance, the absence of knowledge, seems to
play a fundamental role in security.  Even in Zero-knowledge proofs
if I understand them correctly.  You both seem to hold a different
viewpoint however.  Could you elaborate?

tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen):
> An unreadable binary is just annoying.  You can't run what or strings
> on it.  You can't adb it for your core dumps.

A good point.  Perhaps this points out a problem with what, strings,
and adb, i.e., the inability to read binaries that have restricted
read permission.  Whether there is a good general solution (setuid??) for
this problem under Unix I don't know however.  I would certainly like
to hear about any if there were.

Tom

bannon at csc.ti.com