link (ln) with *one* name?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Mon Aug 13 05:32:22 AEST 1990

In article <5698 at uwm.edu> jgd at csd4.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:
-     ln [ -s ] sourcename [ targetname ]
-     Given one or two arguments, ln creates a link to an existing
-     file sourcename.  If targetname is given, the link has that
-     name; targetname may also be a directory in which to place
-     the link; otherwise it is placed in the current directory.
-Um, excuse me, but *what* link to _sourcename_?????  Seems to me you need
-a minimum of two (2) arguments here to do anything useful.

The description TELLS you what happens.
It is extremely easy to try this out and empirically determine what happens.