Want info on parallel makes

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at mtndew.UUCP
Wed Jul 11 02:26:12 AEST 1990

Hi folks,

     In my Allegely Portable Software Package, my focus has turned
onto makefiles.  Some machines support a parallel make facility, and
I would rather this it than not use it, but I don't know how common
the syntax is.  Sequent uses the notation:

	target : & file1.o file2.o file3.o
		commands

where the & marks the start of the dependencies that can be
parallelized (BSD make only, not in the Sys V make).

     What other notations are out there?  I already have a
front-end to make that can take care of some of this syntax
difference by sticking macros on the command line, but I
gotta know where to start.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Berkeley UNIX is for people who don't have real work to do