How to clean out Zombies?

jian at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu jian at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Jul 20 01:24:57 AEST 1990

Help Wanted:

   I am writting a program that works like a daemon process. The master
will run forever on UNIX and listen a port for request calls. In order to
make the master process be able to handle multiple calls at the same time,
I design the program to spawn out child process to perform work whenever a
request call comes. The child process will terminate itself when a clear
call signal is received. Here is the problem. When I use "ps ux" shell
command to check the status of processes on the system, I found lots of
Zombie processes. If I terminate the master process, all of zombies are gone.
However, I want the master process run forever. What should I do inside the
program in order to make child processes really terminate themself without
leave any zombies on the system. I would appreciate any helps.

Thanks in advance.

Jian Q. Li
jian at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu