t_free before closing descriptor?

Adrian Miranda ade at clark.edu
Wed Jul 25 14:54:39 AEST 1990

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, I'm trying to learn about
streams/TLI on System V r3.2.  In my function (actually it's not mine,
I'm porting smail3.1 to esix), I t_alloc a T_CALL structure.  I then
t_connect, pop the timod module and push the tirdwr module.  Finally,
the file descriptor is returned to the caller, which uses it to do
whatever.  What I'm wondering is, can I t_free the T_CALL structure at
the end of this function, even though the file descriptor will
continue to be used?  It appears that the structure is no longer
needed since smail will not be making any more TLI calls on the
descriptor.  But perhaps something is going on behind the scenes?

Adrian Miranda
uunet!clark!ade