How do you handle while(1) fork(); ?

Jim Webb jrw at mtune.ATT.COM
Thu Jul 12 00:34:59 AEST 1990

In article <841 at massey.ac.nz>, ARaman at massey.ac.nz (A.V. Raman) writes:
> Is there any way to kill all instances of a process that has the
> following piece of code in it without having to bring the system down?
>
>    while (1)
>       fork();

Under System V, running "kill -9 -1" will send the kill to all processes
belonging to the invoking user.  So, to stop the above, you could do that
as the user (if s/he has any processes left) or by becoming root and then
entering:

		su pest -c "kill -9 -1"

if no process slots are available to the user.  Obviously, this kills
everything that user is running, not just the above wonderfulness.

Have fun.

--
Jim Webb                "Out of Phase -- Get Help"               att!mtune!jrw
                  "I'm bored with this....Let's Dance!"