Resolver on Suns

The Ancient Programmer abrams at dan.amd.bnl.gov
Thu Jul 12 07:27:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun28.234529.2969 at portia.Stanford.EDU> edgar at nova.stanford.edu (Edgar Holmann) writes:

>					:
>Ultrix system by using the /etc/resolv.conf nameservers.  The problem is with
>the sun; there is still a reference in the man pages for the existence of a
>resolv.conf file but this doesn't work.  (SunOS Release 4.0 changed the name of
>this file to resolve.conf.)               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Wrong!  The name of the file is still resolv.conf, not resolve.conf.
There was an error in Sun's man page which incorrectly spelled the file name,
but that error has been corrected at 4.1.
	When I brought up 4.0.1 on our system, I changed the name of the
file to resolve.conf and everthing went down the tubes.  Changing the name
back to resolv.conf got everything working again. We are currently at 4.1
with resolv.conf and all is ok.
	One point, the Sun should not be running in.named if you want
it to use the resolv.conf file.  Also, if you want your Sun NIS server
to use the domain name resolver, you must read the first comment in the
Makefile in /var/yp at OS4.1.

INTERNET:	abrams at bnl.gov
BITNET:		abrams at bnlux0.BITNET
UUCP:		...philabs!sbcs!bnlux0!abrams