System V Release 4.0 versus BSD

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Tue Jul 24 23:46:36 AEST 1990

In article <13399 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> I don't see any signs at all that commercial vendors are going to
> distribute systems based on 4.4BSD rather than SVR4.  Some may ship
> Mach-based systems, but they will be at a competitive disadvantage.

Why, if it can be made to conform to the SVID and applicable ABIs? The
additional functionality and performance available through the use of a
modern kernel instead of a swiss-army-knife coroutine-based hack should
more than outweigh the extra development costs. If they can do it without
a UNIX source licence it may even be cheaper.

And I'd *love* to be able to *not* load all that BSD and Sys V compatibility
crud if I don't want to.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`