Keyboard remaping on 386/ix

Howard Weiss hsw at sparta.com
Fri Jul 27 03:59:48 AEST 1990

Has anyone had any success (and can therefore provide some pointers
and/or expertise) in remapping keyboard keys on an 386/ix console
keyboard.  Basically, what I would like to do is change the meaning of
the caps lock key to be control and make the left control key the caps
lock (having previously used ascii keyboards where the control key is
just to the left of the 'a').  I have played a bit with 'ttymap' but
have not gotten it to work as advertised in the documentation.  In
fact, if I type a ttymap -r (which is supposed to reset the keyboard
mapping), the keyboard locks up and I have to reboot to get control
back!

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Howie Weiss