edit file that invoked script while executing

Greg Strockbine gregs at well.sf.ca.us
Fri Jul 13 05:24:27 AEST 1990

What I'm looking for here is a general approach and a couple of
specifics.
I have a bourne shell script that is invoked from within a
Makefile. How in the bourne shell can I get the userid of
the person who inovked the make?
I then want to locate the Makefile and remove the dependency
from the 'all' target that caused the script to be invoked.
So how do I determine the path of the Makefile?
	thanx in advance, greg s., dataproducts, woodland hills, ca.