Summary of responses regarding Jim Joyces Unix Bookstore

William Kucharski kucharsk at number6.Solbourne.COM
Tue Jul 24 08:52:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul17.174054.29575 at nbc1.ge.com> scott at nbc1.GE.COM (Scott Barman) writes:
 >Just one question:  Why use any of these mail order companies to get
 >books anyway?  I could understand if there was a significant discount,
 >but by the time you pay for shipping, etc. the savings are minimal.  I
 >have never had a problem walking into (say) a B. Dalton's and ordering
 >any book they didn't have in stock--and I've never paid shipping charges
 >either.

Mostly that, even if the book is in their warehouse, most chain book stores
will take a week or two to get you a book, even longer if the warehouse doesn't
have it in stock (usually on the order of magnitude of a month).  By calling,
say, Computer Literacy in San Jose, if they have it in stock they'll ship it to
you.  If you're really anxious you can pay the $$ and have it shipped next or
second day air; otherwise you'll have it within 1.5 weeks at most via UPS
ground.