SCO doesn't sell UNIX

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Dec 8 01:31:53 AEST 1990

In article <275E9FD4.377B at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Dispite my low general opinion of SCO UNIX, this feature I like.
>
>I don't know about anyone else, but to me, if a shell executes the
>command "cat foobarbazxyzzy >foobarbazxyzzy2" and, in the process,
>silently truncates "foobarbazxyzzy", that's a bug.

it is a POSIX invention.  i tend to agree that it is a "good idea",
except that noone prior to 1003.1 had ever heard of "_POSIX_NO_TRUNC".
this is definitely one of those features that should be "off" by
default for AT&T filesystems, given the historical behavior.

>Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
>      "Hi, I'm Chip Salzenberg and I'm a flaming idiot."
>            -- Chip Salzenborg

nice .signature.  you should keep this one for a while. ;-)
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org