Host unknown

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.cirr.com
Sat Dec 29 03:26:19 AEST 1990

In article <PAX.90Dec27091610 at megasys.megasys.> pax at megasys.com
		 (Garry M. Paxinos) writes:
-
- In article <1990Dec26.192115.23329 at csrd.uiuc.edu>
-			patrick at whistle.kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) writes:
-    Ahem...
-
-       ----- Transcript of session follows -----
-    550 nstar.rn.com (TCP)... 550 Host unknown
-    554 <larry at nstar.rn.com>... 550 Host unknown (Valid name but no data [address])
-
- I'm wondering, is this happening to alot of people?  It's been
- happening to both megasys.com and metrolink.com down here quite abit.

        I haven't seen this happen to me, but then again, I'm not
directly connected.  I too use an MX like Larry does.  My MX points to
two sites, with both uunet and seismo holding the MX records.

- BTW, both systems use uunet.uu.net as a nameserver.  Uunet says it's
- elsewhere... is it?  Both domains have primary and secondary forwarders
- so it seems strange that this is happening...

        I would suspect that the problem is at the sending end, and that
the sendmail is not configured to use MX records.

        If the sending host is configured to use MX's, then it might be
a problem that the target host of the MX is not yet ready, but that is
just a guess.

	Followups have been redirected to comp.mail.misc.

Eric Schnoebelen		eric at cirr.com		schnoebe at convex.com
		    C Code.  C Code Run.  Run, Code, RUN!
			       PLEASE!!!!