<21688 at scuzzy.mbx.sub.org>

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Tue Sep 11 02:15:00 AEST 1990

>here at nstar, we are running with BUSSON of 9, BUSSOFF of 4 and DMASPEED
>of 6.7mhz (using a 1542B, BUSS running at 12.5mhz) and have seen some
>drastic improvements in throughput over that of the default configuration.
>
>Our drives are CDC Wrens IV's - and I assume the the default is that the
>cache is enabled on the drives -

This is not correct.  The CDC Wren VI and later are the only ones to have the
cache enabled by default.  You need to enable it on all earlier Wren's.  The
Wren III does not have cache.  Some OEM's have had CDC enable the read ahead
by default, but in general it comes disabled on the Wren IV, and V.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  uunet!swbatl!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe,mlite}!adaptex!neese