Which UNIX?

Marc Unangst mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
Wed Sep 26 10:20:39 AEST 1990

su11+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen H. Underwood) writes:
> I worked at a company for about 2 years that used nothing but SCO for
> it's unix, and while there I ported/attempted to port quite a few
> standard unix programs.  In general I found that the system was awful,,
> laden with kludges, and a lot of standard packages contain disclaimer
> lines in them that say "If you are attempting to port this to Xenix,
> good luck, and tell us if you get it to work."

There's a difference between SCO Unix and SCO Xenix.  Xenix is an
awful almost-Unix clone from Microsoft.  SCO Unix is a product that,
with the replacement and/or removal of some of its "features" (my
personal suggestions are replacing MMDF with Smail 3.1.19, and making
it possible to turn off the C2 security and replace it with the normal
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files), is a fine OS.  When SCO
Unix 3.2 v2 finally comes out, I think they should have most of the
bugs fixed...

The shop where I work sells both ESIX and SCO stuff, and I can tell
you that I prefer SCO Unix to ESIX.

--
Marc Unangst               | "da-DE-DA: I am sorry, the country you have
mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | dialed is not in service.  Please check the