SCO's ODT does not work on any 80486?

Rob Peglar rpeglar at csinc.UUCP
Tue Sep 18 04:44:37 AEST 1990

In article <1123 at xroads.UUCP>, firewind at xroads.UUCP (Tom Parker) writes:

> Yesterday I was on a conference call with a person my company sold a '486 to,

"Sold" sounds about right.  In my book, the rest of this posting is a
lesson to all sellers who move boxes and don't bother to check out what
their customers want to do/intend to do with their equipment.

Note, I'm not trying to absolve SCO - they do indeed advertise that
ODT "works on" i486 boxes.  To SCO's credit, however, they do indeed
check out and publish a list of "supported" systems.  Your company having
sold a box to a customer which didn't appear on the list is your problem,
not SCO's.

> and Technology Powers Enterprise(TPE) who made the motherboard.  It seems
> that SCO's ODT will not install on this motherboard.  When our customer
> called, SCO asked him what kind of computer it was.  They said that since it
> wasn't on their list of "approved" 80486's that they could offer no help.  So
> TPE gets involved and finds out that SCO has not tested ODT on *ANY* 80486!!!
>  Yet they advertize that it runs on the '386 and '486!  Sound deceptive?  TPE
> has tried to loan one of their motherboards to SCO for testing ODT, yet SCO
> has not been too receptive to this at all.
>
> So, a little warning to the wise.  I'd avoid ODT if I were you, especially if
> you want to run it on a '486!

We run it here just fine on an Intel 401, for the record.  (486 at 25).

Rob

--
Rob Peglar	Comtrol Corp.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
		A Control Systems Company	(800) 926-6876

...uunet!csinc!rpeglar